Saturday, May 20, 2017

Testing No-Churn Unicorn Ice Cream

I feel like unicorns have been everywhere lately, particularly after the huge "Unicorn Frappuccino" craze at Starbucks. While scrolling through Pinterest the other week, I stumbled across some "unicorn" recipes, and this colorful DIY ice cream from Popsugar particularly caught my eye. Because it requires only a few ingredients, I wanted to test it out and see if it was as tasty as it is pretty.



What you need:
  • 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 1 Can Condensed Milk
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Pinch of Salt
  • Food Coloring
  • Colorful Sprinkles

Instructions:

1. Using an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form.


2. In a separate bowl, combine the condensed milk, vanilla extract, and salt.



3. Fold the milk mixture into the whipped cream to combine.



4. Separate the mixture into 5 different bowls. Add 2 drops of food coloring of your choice to each bowl.


5. Scoop dollops of the mixture into a freezer-safe container (I used a glass loaf pan), alternating colors with each scoop.



6. Swirl the colors together using a butter knife.



7. Top with colorful sprinkles, then freeze for 8 hours.



8. Remove from freezer and enjoy!


The Verdict: This recipe actually turned out much better than I expected. First of all, it didn't take long and was really easy to follow. Second of all, the ice cream actually tasted good! I wasn't expecting much considering the simplicity of the ingredients and the lack of added sugar, but the flavor reminded me of a "sweet cream" ice cream- not very rich, but still refreshing. I think this recipe would be perfect to make for a special event, considering you can customize the color scheme/toppings however you want. I'm looking forward to getting a good Instagram out of this one! ;)






xoxo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment