Friday, May 26, 2017

DIY Moisturizing Hair Mask

I get weirdly excited about haircuts. I just feel so much lighter and more refreshed after my hair has been thoroughly conditioned and my dead ends have been snipped off. So when I got a call yesterday from my hairdresser saying he had to reschedule my appointment, I was pretty bummed, especially because I was looking forward to having a fresh cut for my Memorial Day weekend vacation. Knowing I wouldn't be getting the salon treatment before the trip, I decided to make a little DIY moisturizing hair mask using ingredients I had in my kitchen to attempt to make my strands look a little less like they haven't been trimmed in 4 months... It turned out to be surprisingly effective!




What I used:
  • 1/2 ripe banana (mashed)
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp natural honey
Bananas are packed with oils and vitamins, making them a great natural moisturizer for your hair and scalp. Similarly, coconut and olive oils are composed of fatty acids, excellent for smoothing strands. Finally, honey softens and seals in moisture, as it is considered to be a "humectant." This mask is perfect not only for conditioning dry and damaged hair, but also for treating dry scalp/dandruff, as all of the ingredients are 100% natural and non-irritating.

I simply stirred all of the ingredients together and applied the combination directly onto my dry hair and scalp. The consistency was pretty liquid-y, so it was a little messy but manageable. Just learn from my mistake and be sure to mash the banana as much as possible to avoid any large chunks getting stuck in your hair.








The recipe is good for about 2 applications (3 if you have shorter hair). I let it sit for around an hour before washing and conditioning my hair as usual. I definitely underestimated the moisturizing power of the mask, because even after washing, my hair was still slightly oily from root to tip. Since it was nighttime and I was staying in, I just braided my hair and let it sit overnight before washing out the remaining residue the next morning. So if you're planning on going out and about immediately after using the mask, I definitely advise washing twice.

After letting the ingredients work their magic, you'll be left with incredibly soft and nourished hair, creating that "fresh cut" look and feel without breaking the bank. This treatment will definitely hold me over until my long-overdue appointment next week.

xoxo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment