Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Intern Diaries Vol. III: First Week Fashion

It's safe to say that the first few days of a new job or internship are the most stressful. You'll likely be occupied with things like navigating the office, figuring out your role, and meeting your coworkers, just to name a few. The last thing you want to be worried about is how you look. It's so important, especially in that first week, to wear something you feel 100% comfortable and confident in. For me, I've learned that my fool-proof outfit, especially if I'm not entirely sure how formal the office will be, is a dress (I particularly love shift and fit-and-flare silhouettes) paired with a structured blazer and comfortable, broken-in leather flats.

Clockwise from top left:
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9 // 10

All of the above dress picks are from J.Crew Factory. Some are even on clearance for an additional 40% off, so if one or two catch your eye, be sure to purchase soon before they sell out! I find that J.Crew Factory is the best bang for your buck when searching for well-made work dresses. I have several dresses that have lasted for years, mostly because their high-quality materials wear and wash so well. And because they're almost always having a sale, it's easy to get a great deal. I recently stopped in my local Factory store and purchased this striped dress that I know I'll be wearing a ton this summer, both in and out of the office. If you're shopping in store and you're a student, be sure to show them your student ID to get an additional 10% off!

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5

I also wanted to include a few blazer options at affordable price points. Having a few neutral-colored blazers is key for building a corporate wardrobe. Black, navy, and gray are great options, but I'm also on the hunt for a beige one, as it's more summer appropriate and will pair well with any outfit.

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5

Lastly, here are a few pairs of flats. I would recommend splurging a little more on high quality shoes that you know will last through some wear and tear. My most comfortable pair is from Banana Republic- I've found that their leather breaks in really nicely and stays in good shape for years.

All of the pieces I've rounded up are just ideas based on my personal preferences. If you feel most comfortable and confident in a pantsuit and heels, then go for it! The bottom line is that you should be able to go through your work day without having to stress about how your outfit looks- you'll have plenty of other things to worry about!

I hope you can incorporate some of these pieces into your corporate wardrobe based on your own personal style. Thank you for reading, and good luck!

Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment