Monday, February 20, 2017

Healthy(ish) Treats

With spring break quickly approaching, I'm trying to curb my massive sweet tooth with some slightly healthier options. I have a really hard time cutting out desserts, but when I have some of these foods on hand I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.


  • Halo Top Ice Cream: They started stocking this in the convenience store on the first floor of my apartment building... dangerous to say the least! Considering ice cream is my favorite dessert, it's awesome to find a "nice cream" option (low cal, low fat, low sugar) that still tastes creamy and delicious. I don't buy it all the time, since $6 per pint is pretty pricey, but it's a nice reward from time to time. It's hard to pick favorites, but I love the cookie dough and peanut butter cup flavors
  • Dark Chocolate Himalayan Salted Almonds: I consider these a healthier version of chocolate covered pretzels. They're perfect to have around for snacking or for combining with other nuts and dried fruit to make your own trail mix
  • Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Powerberries: A great alternative to your favorite candies, these contain acai, blueberry, and cranberry juices, which actually make them a good source of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Just try not to eat the whole bag in one sitting
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabar: This is my favorite bar on the market. It's gluten-free, non-GMO, vegan, soy-free, dairy-free, and only contains 4 ingredients: cashews, dates, dark chocolate chips, and sea salt. And somehow it still tastes like real cookie dough!
  • Vanilla "Milkshake": I recently discovered this vanilla protein powder from Bed, Bath and Beyond, and I'm obsessed. I like to blend one scoop of it with a banana, a cup of almond milk, and some ice, and it turns out tasting nearly as good as an authentic vanilla shake (no gross chalkiness)! Now I'm really curious to try out the cookies and cream flavor as well
  • Teavana Dessert Teas: Teavana has a great selection of teas to satisfy your sweet tooth. After Christmas I bought the white chocolate peppermint and the s'mores teas as a better alternative to munching on cookies or candy before going to bed. It's nice to incorporate little rituals like this into my nightly routine so I feel like I'm not depriving myself by skipping out on dessert
Let me know if you have any go-to "healthy" desserts. I'm really curious to try some of the no-churn nice cream recipes that I've seen on Pinterest, but I can't imagine they'll live up to Halo Top...

xoxo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment