Friday, April 28, 2017

Intern Diaries Vol. II: Totes Prepared

After launching my "Intern Diaries" series, I've had a lot of fun brainstorming tips and advice to share with you all based on my own personal experience. In the first volume of the series, I gave the low-down on getting the internship, but in this post I want to touch on how to prepare for life on the job- more specifically, what to pack in your work bag to cover your day-to-day needs. Keep reading to see some chic yet functional tote bag recommendations, as well as what I plan to have on hand in my bag this summer.

1. Target Women's Reversible Faux Leather Tote
2. Nordstrom Rack Urban Expressions Vegan Leather Tote
3. Nordstrom Rack Joe's Jeans Reina Leather Tote
4. Nordstrom Sole Society Zyla Faux Leather Tote
5. Madewell Leather Transport Satchel
6. Nordstrom Rack All Saints Leather East/West Tote
7. Banana Republic Portfolio Italian Leather Slouch Tote
8. J.Crew All-Day Tote

When choosing a work bag, it has to meet certain criteria: spacious, durable, versatile, and of course, fashionable. While some of these bags are at a higher price point than your H&M or Forever 21 finds, I think a high-quality work tote is a very worthwhile investment. You need something that can withstand the wear and tear of being lugged around (at least) 5 days a week and won't fall apart when you fill it to the brim. It's worth noting that several of my picks are from Nordstrom Rack- I highly recommend checking them out if you're in the market for a new bag, since you can find some great deals without having to sacrifice quality. As you can tell, I also tend to gravitate toward neutral hues that won't clash with my wardrobe. 

Now that we've gone over some bag suggestions, I wanted to share what I plan on keeping inside my tote. 

Tip: Keep smaller nicknacks organized in pouches. This way they'll be easily accessible and won't get lost in the abyss
To start things off, here are my "General Essentials":
  • Notebook (to jot notes in meetings)
  • Planner (to stay organized and keep track of my to-dos)
  • Pens and highlighters
  • A snack (because I always have a sweet tooth)
  • Water bottle (I try to drink two of these 32 oz water bottles per day)
  • Phone (of course)
  • Not pictured: Laptop (if necessary) and my wallet (just a simple cardholder with my ID, credit card, and keys)
Now onto the pouches!

"The Emergency Kit"
This little guy has me covered for any fashion or beauty mishaps. It's basically where I keep things that I don't need all the time, but are always good to have on hand 
  • Tide to Go pen
  • Hand Cream
  • Mini Hairbrush (Boston wind can do a number on my hair)
  • Perfume Rollerball
  • Gum
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Bandaids
  • Extra hair tie

"The Touch-Up Kit"
Everything I need to touch up my makeup throughout the day. I probably should do more- reapply concealer, etc...but I'm too lazy

"The Electronics"
It's always nice to have your chargers and other cords are sorted into one place so they don't get tangled up or damaged in your bag. I like to keep phone and laptop chargers in here, as well as my headphones.

And that's everything! I hope this inspires you to be more organized and well-prepared. Thank you for reading!

Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment