Thursday, March 9, 2017

Raiding My Mom's Beauty Cabinet

One of the best things about coming home is getting to try new beauty products, courtesy of my mom's (and my sister's) makeup bags. From skincare to makeup, here's a roundup of a few of the things I've been testing out while home for spring break.

(Sidenote: quick apology to my sister Emily because I definitely didn't ask for permission to use any of her products...lol oops)


  1. It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream: This product gets a ton of hype in the beauty community, but I've never purchased it myself. My mom loves it, and for good reason: it's moisturizing (perfect for drier skin types), provides great coverage, and has SPF 50. I've borrowed it from her a couple times in the past, and while I was wowed by the coverage, the consistency felt too thick, and my combination skin got shiny after only a couple hours. However, this time I changed my application method and used a damp beauty blender (as opposed to a foundation brush) to thin out the cream and press it into the skin. I set it with my favorite powder and the Smashbox Primer Water (which I'll get to in a moment) and found that it lasted so much better than I thought it would (my nose was shiny after about 6 hours, which is a lot better than usual for me). I'm tempted to pick up my own, especially because that high SPF would be clutch for the summer months...but I don't know if I can justify the price considering I still get along really well with my Maybelline BB Cream
  2. Clinique Bronzer: This powder is well-loved by my sister Emily, so I thought I would put aside my go-to Nars Laguna for a few days to try this one. I definitely found the Clinique bronzer warmer than Laguna, but not super orangey, even on my pale skin. It's also fairly matte, with an almost undetectable sheen, and was easy to blend. However, it was definitely a lot less pigmented than I'm used to. I prefer Laguna's shimmer and quick application (since I only have to dip my brush a couple times), but if you like a more subtle bronzer you may really enjoy this one!
  3. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water: Now that I think about it, this priming/setting spray is likely responsible for making the It CC Cream last so much longer than I was expecting. I applied it both underneath and on top of my makeup as directed, and noticed immediately that it worked very similarly to my Urban Decay All-Nighter. The mist was super fine and helped to make my skin look more natural and less powdery. I don't think you can go wrong with either this one or the UD one, but in general a setting spray is one of those products you don't know you need until you try it...especially once summer rolls around
  4. Lancome Cils Booster XL: To be honest, I wasn't super impressed with this lash primer. I'm skeptical about lash primers in general and don't really think of them as a crucial step in one's makeup routine. While it definitely added more length to my lashes than had I only applied mascara, the difference wasn't drastic enough to justify purchasing it.
  5. Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado: This stuff is super rich. I would definitely recommend using it at night unless your skin is extremely dry. For someone my age (early 20s), this is an amazing eye cream for hydration and future-wrinkle-prevention, but if you want something with more intense anti-aging properties you'd probably want to look elsewhere
  6. Kiel's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense: Feels like a lightweight moisturizer, sinks quickly into the skin, but has way more SPF than your typical day cream. I've tried many of the Neutrogena face sunscreens, but all of them felt thick and greasy despite claims that they are thin and fast-absorbing. Maybe once I have a full-time job I'll make the switch over to this $55 treasure
  7. Crabtree & Evelyn Gardeners Hand Cream: Lastly, I couldn't not borrow this luxurious hand cream from my sister. It's thick but not too greasy, and I just love the vintage packaging. Most importantly, it smells like an actual Christmas tree! I personally love the herbal, pine needle scent, but if that's not your cup of tea there are plenty of other scents in the range to explore
I hope you liked this mini-review of things that I borrowed without permission from my mother and sister!

xoxo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment