Monday, March 27, 2017

Intern Diaries: Vol. I

In my opinion, one of the major sources of stress for college students is the pressure to find an internship. These days it seems like employer standards are rising exponentially for college grads. When applying for competitive full-time positions, it's hard to get away with babysitting and mowing lawns during your summers off (Ahh, how I miss being paid in cash). Because internships are one of the major ways to set yourself apart on your resume, I thought I'd start a series about my experience with internships. Today I'm going to talk about the most common question regarding internships: "How do I get one?!" In later editions I'd love to go into topics like interviewing, office etiquette, etc. But for now, keep reading to see my top tips on landing an internship.



Tip #1: Build Your Network

As cliche (or unfair) as it may seem, connections are everything. When it comes to making an offer, many hiring managers will go with someone recommended by coworkers, friends, or colleagues, even if there are other more qualified applicants in the pool. In my experience, I've found that it's crucial to build your network as early in your academic career as possible. Introducing yourself to the Dean as a senior in the peak of job-hunting season, or reaching out to an old finance professor you haven't spoken to since freshman year, are major no-no's. Instead, make those introductions early and get yourself out there. Go to office hours from time to time to talk to professors about your academic progress (or just your life/career plans in general), even if you don't have class with them anymore. It makes it a lot easier to approach them for that letter of recommendation, or to ask about that internship with the company they used to work for. 

I've never really been one for career fairs, as I find that they can be a bit stiff and awkward. Not to mention it's nearly impossible for the recruiters to remember you among the hundreds of suit-and-tie-clad students they met within a two hour period. I'd spend more time building relationships with professors and administration. You'd be amazed with the professional experience and connections they've garnered over the years. I was able to get my first internship the summer after my sophomore year after meeting with the Dean of my business school to talk about my career interests. Afterward, I simply reached out to him and expressed my desire to gain experience in the retail industry, and he immediately connected me with my soon-to-be boss. Talk about the power of connections!

Tip #2: Get a Head Start

With application deadlines varying among different industries and companies, start working on them as soon as possible! In the past I've made the mistake of assuming that most summer internship applications were due in the spring, and I missed a cluster of opportunities that had November/December deadlines (super early, I know!!). This may seem OCD, but it's actually really helpful to make an Excel spreadsheet with company names and deadlines. You could even add in personal deadlines for elements of the application, like editing your resume and your cover letter. 

Speaking of resumes and cover letters, college/university career centers often have great resources for creating an A+ resume, and I highly recommend having yours reviewed by an academic advisor, or even a professor that you know had ample professional hiring experience. If you have any older siblings or friends in the workforce, definitely have them review it as well to get a fresh take from someone who knows what companies today are looking for in future employees.

Cover letters often vary from job to job, but you may want to create a template that you can customize to meet the requirements of different positions. When writing your cover letter, make sure it's no longer than a page. Open with a paragraph about why you're interested in the position, and follow with 2-3 paragraphs about your qualifications (extracurriculars, previous experiences, etc) that tie into the qualities they're looking for in an intern candidate. Always make sure to end the letter with your contact information (even though they probably gathered that on your application anyways,  it's just polite/customary).

Tip #3: Use School Resources

It's likely that your school has a host of career opportunities just waiting to be taken. It is the school's job, after all, to make sure its students are employed after graduation! So sign up for emails from your career center, and don't just let them slide into your inbox unread. The internship I took for this summer was the direct result of an email that I got through Student-Athlete Support Services, advertising summer job opportunities with a financial technology firm in Boston. Recruiters love going through email lists such as these (clubs, athletics, student government, etc.) because it makes their job a lot easier. From the day I responded to the email, the interview process only took about a week until I was offered the job. So get involved on campus, sign up for email lists through your school organizations, and actually read your emails!

Another great resource when it comes to staying connected through your school is LinkedIn. Specifically, searching for companies that you're interested in and seeing if any alumni from your school work there. Who knows, you could end up having a few mutual connections with the hiring manager. For the most part, I feel like alumni are always looking to see more representation from their alma mater, so it's a great idea to reach out to see if their company has any open internship positions. Even if they're not hiring, it could be valuable to create that connection with the alum and maybe set up an informational interview to learn more about how their undergraduate studies led them to their current career. Who knows, they could consider you for a position the next time they're looking to fill an open spot.

Tip #4: Talk to Your Friends

Chances are, a few of your friends, especially those that may be a little older, have had internship experiences in some of the industries (or even with some of the companies) that you have your eye on. Set up a time to get coffee and talk with them about their experience- things they liked, things they didn't like, company culture, etc. Especially if you're getting overwhelmed by all of the internship applications you think you should fill out, talks like these could really help you narrow down your options to a more manageable amount.  

Tip #5: Take a Break!

I want to take time to say that you by all means do not have to have an internship every summer/semester/week/hour/minute etc. In fact, it could end up making you look unsure or indecisive if your resume is filled with 8 different internship positions in 8 completely different industries. I took off the summer after my freshman year and just babysat in my hometown, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Many companies don't even consider first year students for positions anyways. 

Remember, quality over quantity. If you feel like your academics are going to suffer by taking an internship during the semester, don't take it! I think a good formula for building a resume is a mix of involvement on campus, one or two bigger internships during the summers, and, if possible, a part-time job during the school year. Don't get so wrapped up in the corporate world that you forget that your number one responsibility right now is to be a student.

I hope this helped any of you who tend to get stressed out about the ambiguity surrounding professional careers and life after college. I know it's a bit late in the game for internships for this coming summer, but be sure to keep these tips in the back of your mind for the future :)

xoxo Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment