Thursday, August 24, 2017

Back-to-School Supplies for College

Another summer has come and gone, which means it's officially back-to-school season. I know some schools have already begun the year (my little brother's high school started on August 14!), but thankfully I have until the Tuesday after Labor Day to get my stuff together. 

Thinking back to my high school days, I remember that many of my teachers had very specific requirements when it came to school supplies- a 1.5 inch binder with 3 dividers plus a composition book for assignments, and so on. College professors, I've found, are much more flexible, and pretty much allow for whatever works best for your learning style. After 3 years, I've developed my own system and narrowed down my supplies list to the essentials listed below, keeping me organized and on top of things without feeling overly-cluttered.

1. Notebooks
Rather than carry around bulky binders, I prefer to just buy a notebook for each of my classes. I definitely retain information better when I write it down, so I use a notebook to house all of my notes, reminders, and practice sets pertaining to a particular course. These personalized notebooks from Paper Source are absolutely adorable, but if you're feeling crafty and want to save money you could easily get one from Target or an office supply store for around $1 and decorate it yourself.

2. Planner
I'm a big planner person (how cute is this mermaid one?!). At the end of every month (as well as every Sunday), I like to turn to the following monthly/weekly page and map out everything I have going on, from school to athletics to social events. Although I recently started using iCal too (because it is nice to have everything stored on my phone) I can't be converted entirely from pen and paper. There's something about having a tangible agenda- it almost serves as a scrapbook for me. Plus writing things down is definitely more effective in helping me remember important dates and obligations.

3. Sticky Notes
I always have a stack of sticky notes on my desk to accommodate my obsession with list-making. While my planner is a great place to write out what I need to accomplish each day, sticky notes are great to have on hand in case I run out of space, or to remind myself of more urgent tasks that needed to be completed ASAP. They're also great for things like grocery lists, chores, etc. Plus these ones are just so aesthetically pleasing.

4. File Cabinet and Folders
The older I get, the more paperwork I have to keep track of. I highly suggest getting a file cabinet and some folders to organize your documents, as well as to house some of your notebooks or school supplies from previous semesters. Regardless of your major, it's likely that some of your coursework will overlap, so don't be too hasty in discarding your books and notebooks at the end of every semester.

5. Colored Highlighters/Pens
This kind of goes along with my list-making obsession. I love color-coding my notes, my planner, my iCal...you name it. Visually, this system really helps me keep all the different aspects of my life organized and compartmentalized in my brain. I always keep this set of highlighters and colored pens on hand in case I need them. I may devote a whole post to my color-coding system/planner set-up if that's something you find intriguing.

6. Supplies Pouch
As you may remember from this post, I love my pouches. You can't just let all of your pens and highlighters float around in your bag- it creates too much clutter (plus they might explode lol). Paper Source has a ton of cute options.

7. Tote Bag
A good quality, chic tote is my preferred method of carrying my school supplies across campus. If you're more of a backpack person (I definitely prefer my backpack on busier/heavier days) I still think a nice tote is a good investment, as it's so versatile and can be used for a variety of things aside from school; for example, as an overnight bag or a carry-on luggage. This one from Bric's has lasted me for a good 3 years now, and I also rounded up more recommendations in this post.

8. Water Bottle
Lastly, I can't leave my apartment without my water bottle. I try to drink about 60-70 fl oz per day because I notice a huge difference in my skin and in my energy levels when I do so. While Swell bottles may seem expensive and over-the-top, they are extremely effective in maintaining the temperature of your water (they also work great for hot drinks like tea and coffee), plus they just look oh so cool.

Thanks so much for reading. Happy back-to-school season!

Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment